Our new First Thursday Book Club will be open to all on a drop-in basis. Starting in April with the Indie Book Award, we’ll read our way through a year’s worth of literary prizewinners.
- April: The Indie Book Award
- May: The Pulitzer Prize for Fiction
- June: The Vogel Literary Award
- July: The Miles Franklin Literary Award
- August: The Women’s Prize for Fiction
- September: The Prime Minister’s Literary Award for Fiction
- October: The CBCA Book of the Year for Older Readers
- November: The Man Booker Prize for Fiction
- December: The Nobel Prize for Literature
We’ll schedule an extra meeting to discuss the winner of the Stella Prize on the first available leap-Thursday (that is, the fourth Thursday of a month with five Thursdays) after the end of April.
Then, while we wait for the award season to begin again, we’ll revisit some awards from the previous year that we couldn’t fit in.
- January: The Best Australian Stories
- February: The IMPAC Dublin Literary Award
- March: The Patrick White Award
The discussion begins at 7:30 pm on Thursday November 7 with the winner of the Man Booker Prize for Fiction – whatever it turns out to be. Then, on Thursday December 5, we’ll discuss Alice Munro, who has just won the 2013 Nobel Prize for Literature.
Hope to see you there!